dimanche 19 mars 2017

Switchgrass help

I tend to agree with BigAl06. Normally I would prep for a year for a perennial food plot, but I think frost seeding this year is a good idea.

It is important that the switchgrass seed gets ground contact depending on the thatch that is there now. If the thatch is heavy, perhaps you could run a spike harrow over it after frost seeding.

I think the year jump on doing it is worth the risk. Because it is going to take three years for it to be tall and screen.

I frost seeded into a heavy fall planting of winter wheat about six years ago. And I went like 10 lbs. per acre of seed. That's way too thick for most habitat word, but I wanted a dead zone screen and it turned out great. I killed the winter wheat that was pretty thick in May. I didn't put simizine down the first year and had a ton of foxtail cool season grasses the first year which I mowed high with a flail mower the first season.

Here is a post with pictures of how thick the winter wheat was:

http://ift.tt/2muSIUX

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Switchgrass help

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire