mardi 14 mars 2017

Who taps maples?

Brandon,

That was a problem I had two years ago when I tapped a bunch of trees I thought were maples, which I tried to identify in Februrary with no leaves. Result - no sap. For me it is hard to identify maples with no leaves, although I'm sure an expert woodsman like Trout could figure it out. There are resources on the internet and in bookstores/libraries that help you identify maples by the shape of the tree, branches, buds and bark. Sorry I don't have specific suggestions, but the reason for this follows below.

My solution was to identify maples in the fall when they still had leaves, and put a paint dot on the trunk. So in about two weeks I'm going to start tapping the trees I marked. I marked only a handful of trees, 4-5, but if the statistics are true and you get up to 10 gallons of sap per tree, I should have enough sap to hopefully make a quart or two of finished syrup.

It is a fun project that I learned in junior high school. My son and daughter have fun with it as well.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Who taps maples?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire