mercredi 1 mars 2017

The scent of game birds?

Just an interesting story to share. I had my pointing lab out training with a buddy of mine who had access to some homing pigeons. As we're walking around we thought we saw a dead pigeon, but realized it was a dead falcon. Had to be very recently dead, because it was still soft and not stiff in the least bit--it felt no different than a bird that had just been shot. After picking it up to figure out that it wasn't a pigeon and realizing it was a falcon, I gave it a toss (I don't think it's legal to keep birds like this) and of course my lab seeing a tossed feathery object about the size of a small pheasant went after it very enthusiastically; HOWEVER the second he got to it and went to grab it he just stopped, jerked his head back and looked back at me. He refused to pick it up.

I just thought it was interesting, since my lab is totally nuts about retrieving, especially birds of course. But he wanted nothing to do with this dead falcon. He got his nose a few inches from it to give it just one sniff, then wanted nothing to do with it.

I'd find it hard to believe whatever it was about the falcon didn't have to do with its looks, but more smell. What do you guys think?

Let's block ads! (Why?)



The scent of game birds?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire