mercredi 1 mars 2017

First Skunk

In nearly 25 years since moving to this area, I have seen only 2 skunks. For whatever reason, this year I started getting photos of them on my scouting cameras. Unfortunately, I recently noticed that they had accessed the foundation under an old hunting camp on our south 40. We don't use the camp but I still didn't want any critters living underneath it.

Cage trapping them to dunk in the pond is out of the question - our water up here is still frozen. I knew I could catch them in conibears but I figured they would spray immediately and I don't want to stink the place up. I had read somewhere that if you lung shoot them they generally don't spray so I thought I would try trapping them in "Dog Proofs". Set a few of them around the building just as the cold spell moved back in so there hasn't been much activity.

Not sure what this guy was doing outdoors last night as it is 22 degrees out now, but sure enough, I found out you can trap them in DP's. Lung shot him with the .17 HMR and he didn't spray. Still smelled a little "skunky" though so I'm leaving him in "cold storage" for a couple of days. Never skinned one before but will give it a go when it warms up.

[​IMG]

Let's block ads! (Why?)



First Skunk

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire